Australian Working Holiday Visa | McFarlane Migration

Australian Working Holiday Visa

Do you want to experience the Australian lifestyle for yourself?

Would you like the option to travel, study, or work while you’re here?

Then an Australian working holiday visa may be the right visa for you.

Are You Eligible?

You may be eligible for a Australian working holiday visa if you hold a passport from a country listed below that participates in the working holiday program. Your nationality will qualify you for one of two different working holiday visas – a Subclass 417 visa or a Subclass 462 visa. You must also be aged over 18, but under 30, and you’ll need to apply while you’re outside Australia.  For countries that amend or enter into a new bilateral arrangement with Australia there is the flexibility to increase age range from 18 to 35.

Why a Working Holiday Visa?

An Australian working holiday visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to twelve months. During this time, you can visit and leave the country as many times as you wish, and you’re allowed to study for up to four months. You can also work for up to six months with one employer. This means that you could potentially work for the entire duration of your stay, so long as you change employers after six months.

How McFarlane Migration Can Help You

Applying for a working holiday visa involves plenty of paperwork. It’s also important that you understand the restrictions your visa will place you under. At McFarlane Migration Services, your Brisbane-based migration agent will help you determine whether you’re eligible for a working holiday visa or recommend a more suitable visa for you. To ensure you have the best chance of success, they’ll prepare and lodge your visa application for you. They’ll also carefully explain the rules for your visa, so you don’t have to worry about getting in trouble while you’re here.

 Contact Us Today

A working holiday in Australia can be an amazing experience. Make sure you get your visa application right so you don’t miss out on this opportunity!

Contact McFarlane Migration today via email or call (+61) 0410 546 168.

Working Holiday Visa Options

Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 417
A Subclass 417 visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to twelve months. If you work for three months in a regional area of Australia undertaking specified work during this time, you may be eligible to apply for a second Subclass 417 visa, which you can do while you’re in Australia or overseas. Otherwise, if you want to stay for longer, you should consider a different visa.

To be eligible for a Subclass 417 visa, you must be aged 18 to 30, and hold a passport from: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, or the United Kingdom (including British National Overseas passport holders).

Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 462
There is an annual limit on the number of Subclass 462 visas that are issued to people from each listed country, except for citizens of the USA. If you’re unable to get a visa in the current program year, you’ll need to apply at the beginning of the next one. The visa program year begins on 1 July. You can only get one Subclass 462 visa (unless you are from Iran and currently hold a Subclass 462 visa), so if you wish to stay in Australia for longer, you’ll need to consider a different visa.

If you’re aged between 18 and 30, you may be eligible for a Subclass 462 visa if you hold a passport from: Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Slovenia, Slovak Republic, Thailand, Turkey, the United States of America, Uruguay or Vietnam

Other Working & Holiday Visa Options
If you don’t qualify for a working holiday visa, or if you want a visa that gives you the right to stay, study, or work for longer in Australia, you may want to consider one of these visas:

Contact McFarlane Migration
Do you want to ensure you’re applying for the right working holiday visa the right way? McFarlane Migration are just an email away. Contact us today at

Information about these visas is accurate as of 14 July 2017. For the latest information about any recent updates or changes, please contact McFarlane Migration today.